Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Lights In the Sky Countdown.


Oh yes, the countdown is near. Four more days and I will be at the Palace of Auburn Hills in Michigan. For what you ask? Well to see one of my favorite groups, Nine Inch Nails. I have been waiting to see them for many years.

Trent Reznor has probably been one of the biggest influences and inspiration to get me off my ass and back to making music again. I have played guitar since I was 12. Taught myself how to play the piano at the age of 6. Played the saxophone when I was 10. Music consumes my life everyday. I am listening before work, during work on the way home from work when I am home, when I am studying. Music is my escape. My escape from a bad day, a sad day, my feeling good day, mad day. Music can put into or keep me into what ever mood I choose. That is the power of music. I never have let anyone hear my music because I felt, well, it's my music....my feelings. Then I think well the music I have grown to love from Nine Inch Nails, to Johnny Cash, to Pink Floyd, to Benny Goodman, to Nirvana, to Beethoven, to Eminem, all of the music they make and I enjoy is the feelings they had, or the porblems they faced. Then I thought how some of the songs they made, made me happy or feel good when I was down. Then I thought, what if something I made, makes someone else smile or have a bad day turn good, or maybe feel like they are not the only ones that feels/felt that way or have been through that. So then the journy begins.

My motivation came from a site Nine Inch Nails has called Remix. Basically it gives you the multi-tracks that make up the songs and you can see how they were made and switch them around to make your own. Before I felt very one dimentional in my music. Since I have seen the way Trent puts things together it makes me feel that the music I make now is very threee dimentional. Like i have said in a previous post, I use Ableton Live 7 and I love it. I have used many computer software to creat and manage music but this is by far the best because it works the way I think. I encourage anyone who is interested in music, even if you are a begininer to go to Ableton's site and download the trial. If you like NIN then head on over to the Remix site and download the multi-tracks.

I plan on linking something soon to here or the site I have been working on, showcasing my music. It will be free to download. It will all sound different depending on what mood I was in while making it or what part of life I was in when I wrote it. I make music because it makes me feel good. I can play my guitar for hours and it feels like just a few minutes went by. Growing up, that was my escape from the world around me. My goal is to make one person smile, one person to realize they are not the only one that feels that way or has felt that way or been through the same thing they have and they arn't alone. If I do that, then my goal has been made and I will keep making more to maybe make that 2 or 3 and so on.

So I will be posting after the concert to tell you all how great it was! ;-) I will also post when the music is ready for a listen. Been so busy with work trying to get this WPF, XAML & Silverlight down.